Whether you suffer from an irritating skin condition like eczema or rosacea or simply want to cut harmful chemicals out of your skin care routine, coconut oil can be helpful. Since coconut oil is a powerful anti-fungal agent, it works well as a cleanser, regulating the body’s pH level while moisturizing the skin and preventing blemishes like acne and blackheads.
Ordinary body washes can be expensive, and many contain ingredients like sulfates that can leave your skin feeling dry and irritated. Since coconut oil is a powerful anti-fungal agent, it works well as a cleanser, regulating the body’s pH level while moisturizing the skin and helping to prevent blemishes like whiteheads and blackheads.
Coconut Oil Body Wash Recipe
- 1 cup almond oil
- 1 cup coconut oil (organic, cold pressed is best)
- 2 cups pure castile soap
- 15 to 30 drops essential oil (optional)
- measuring cup
- quart-sized glass or plastic jar
- If your coconut oil is solid, melt it slowly in the microwave, a pot on low heat, or simply leave it in a warm place for a while.
- Once your oil is melted, add the almond oil, castile soap and essential oil, if desired. Mix these ingredients together.
- Using a funnel, pour your body wash into a quart-sized glass or plastic jar. Shake the jar before using the wash to ensure everything’s properly mixed, and enjoy.
In addition to making your body wash smell good, adding essential oils can provide additional health benefits. Choose your favorite essential oils or ones that may provide benefits uniquely tailored to your skin’s needs. Helichrysum oil is a good option for eczema sufferers, while lavender and lemon oil provide pleasing aromas that can calm the senses.
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature, so your body wash may harden. To prevent this, you can use fractionated coconut oil, which won’t harden. Alternatively, you can place your body wash container under hot water in the bath or shower to soften it. Then, shake it up and use as desired.
Click here to check out iHerb’s selection of Coconut Oil! New to iHerb? Use Rewards Code WOW123 to get up to $10 off your first order.
Stacey; Natural DIY Sensitive Skin Cleanser; Beauty and the Foodie; accessed March 12, 2015
Crimmons, Mary; DIY: Chemical Free Moisturizing Body Wash; Mary Crimmons; accessed March 12, 2015