Being kind does not have to be difficult, expensive or even time-consuming. While people with larger bank accounts can afford to be more generous with their resources than others can, there are many ways to be kind that do not cost a cent. Others cost only a little money, but their reward is a feeling of joy in helping or encouraging someone else.
A popular phrase today is “random acts of kindness,” which can be demonstrated in one of the ten following ways or in a multitude of others.
- Pay the toll for the person behind you. Think of the surprise and gratitude this person will feel when they find out that they owe nothing.
- Help out with a neighbor’s garden. This is particularly helpful for neighbors who are elderly or who are going out of town.
- Send care packages to family, friends or someone in the military. Items like favorite snacks and magazines are often much appreciated.
- Send flowers to a loved one. Whether these are freshly picked from one’s garden or purchased from a delivery company, they will be equally appreciated.
- Adopt a rescue animal. Hundreds of dogs and cats are waiting for loving homes.
- Surprise a spouse or child with a loving note. Consider putting a note in a lunchbox or on top of a bed pillow.
- Volunteer time at a nursing home or elderly care facility. These individuals may benefit greatly from having someone read to them, play games or just listen.
- Add change to an expired parking meter. This can save that individual a pricey parking ticket.
- Let someone ahead in line at the store. If someone only has a couple items, this will help speed up their day.
- Babysit for new parents. Free babysitting is a welcome relief to new parents who often struggle to get out of the house.
Looking for vitamins, herbal supplements and other alternatives to help you keep a healthy balance in your life? Check out the thousands of products we sell at iHerb.com. Use Rewards Code WOW123 to get you $10 off any first time order with a $40 minimum purchase or $5 off any first time order less than $40.
Kindness Ideas; The Random Acts of Kindness Foundation; accessed April 3, 2015
Park, Euna; 109 Random Acts of Kindness You Can Start Doing Today; Popsugar; accessed April 3, 2015
Misener, Jessica; 101 Easy Ideas for Random Acts of Kindness; BuzzFeed; accessed April 3, 2015