Finding meatless version of meat recipes can sometimes be a challenge. Thankfully, with a plethora of vegetarian and vegan food bloggers out there, finding those recipes have become much easier. Such was the case when I was searching for a Vegetarian Meatball recipe and came upon one created by Melissa whose blog is Dash of East. Even better, the fact that this recipe is Asian-inspired and uses one of my favorite ingredients, eggplant, made it even more of a home run. Click here to see the original recipe.
When you get a chance, be sure to check out Melissa’s Recipe Index where you’ll find an assortment of delicious looking vegetarian, vegan and pescetarian recipes. Some of the ones that got my attention included the Salmon Burgers on Sticky Rice Buns with Korean Yam Fries, the Eggplant and Artichoke White Lasagna and the Szechuan Shrimp Po’ Boys. I’m sure you’ll find something you’ll like as well. Until then, I hope you enjoy her Vegetarian Eggplant Meatballs
Vegetarian Eggplant Meatballs
2 medium Chinese Eggplants, about 1 1/2 cups when chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs. ginger, minced
2 eggs, beaten
1 Tbs. soy sauce
1 cup bread crumbs
Optional: 2 stalks green onion, cut to 1/2 inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F
- Slice the eggplant and sprinkle with salt, let sit for about 8 to 10 minutes to draw out water.
- Rinse eggplant slices in water and pat dry.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat, add 1/4 cup water and saute eggplant slices until tender.
- Remove the eggplant from heat, and cut into small pieces, about 1/4 inch cubes.
- Mix the garlic, ginger, egg soy sauce and eggplant in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the mixing bowl and mix well just until all ingredients are combined well.
- Using a spoon, form golf ball sized balls with the eggplant mixture and place in a pan that is well oiled with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, turning the balls half way through, until the outside is a golden brown.
- Optional: Sprinkle green onions on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
iHerb sells thousands of natural food items, everything from stevia to gluten free flours to much more! Click here to take a look at our product offerings. If you’re new to iHerb, you can use Coupon Code WOW123 to get $10 off your first order with a $40 minimum purchase or $5 off your first order of less than $40.