By Assia Mortensen
Tired of soda? Try drinking your watermelon. Agua Fresca — brewed from watermelon or other types of fruit — makes a refreshing, healthy and scrumptious drink.
Agua Fresca, also known as Aguas de Frutas or Fruit Water, is a popular beverage — often sold from round, glass, barrel-shaped containers in Mexico and other countries. Agua Fresca is usually made from local, sweet, seasonal fruit, or a combination of several different kinds of fruit. Traditionally, the pieces of fruit are macerated or crushed by hand, but you can save time by opting for a blender or food processor.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
2 cups cold, filtered water
2 cups watermelon, rind removed, seeded and chopped into squares; (or use another type of fresh fruit)
2 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 lime, cut into wedges
ice cubes or crushed ice
1. Cut the watermelon flesh into rough cubes or chunks — about 1″ in diameter. Remove and save the seeds for planting, if desired. Discard the watermelon rinds or save for pickling.
2. Pour the water, sugar, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Add the chunks of fruit, and blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.
3. Pour the mixture through a strainer and into a pitcher.
4. To serve, fill two glasses with crushed ice or ice cubes, and then pour the Agua Fresca over the ice. Garnish with a lime wedge.
- Watermelon is high in vitamin A, C, E and K, as well as minerals such as magnesium and potassium. It’s both low in calories and highly hydrating.
- The amount of sugar needed will vary depending on the sweetness of the fruit you are using. If your fruit is already sweet and ripe, you may want to omit the sugar.
- Choose a watermelon that is firm, free of bruises and seems heavy for its size.
- To make an adult version containing alcohol, add a shot of your favorite vodka to each portion.
Looking for vitamins, herbal supplements and other alternatives to help you keep a healthy balance in your life? Check out the thousands of products we sell at iHerb.com. Use Coupon Code WOW123 to get you $10 off any first time order with a $40 minimum purchase or $5 off of orders less than $40.
Richie, T. Agua Fresca. Available at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/appetite-for-adventure/agua-fresca-recipe/index.html. Accessed May 18, 2012.
The ladybug (watermelon drink). Available at http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/drink/views/The-Ladybug-Watermelon-Drink-201070. Accessed May 18, 2012.
Agua fresca. Available at http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beverage/WatermelonAquaFresca.htm. Accessed May 18, 2012